Cooking Thyme With Tristan: Varney’s Vegetable Soup
Named after the one and only Jim Varney, this soup is so TASTY and like Jim’s character Ernest, the perfect model of comfort… you know what I mean, Vern?
Here’s with you will need:
- 1 pound of chicken tenderloins
- 3 peppers
- ½ bag of frozen corn
- Some kale
- 2 fresh carrots
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups vegetable juice
- 1 tomato
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp thyme
- A liberal amount of salt and pepper to taste
Here’s what you will need to do:
- Cut your veggies and put them in the pan!
- Mix in the chicken broth and vegetable juice.
- Mix in all other vegetables and all spices.
- Cook the chicken!
- Cool the noodles!
- Pour it all into the pot, add the kale and let those ingredients marry each other!
- Taste it and add seasoning as you wish!
It’s even better if you watch an Ernest film while eating! I recommend Ernest Goes to Jail!
Until next time…
Tristan Layne Tapscott has been dubbed the “Quad Cities’ P.T. Barnum” and although the person who initially said it meant it as an insult, he happily accepts the title.